Milrinone inhibits hypoxia or hydrogen dioxide-induced persistent sodium current in ventricular myocytes.

Eur J Pharmacol. 2009 Jun 20; Zheng J, Ma J, Zhang P, Hu L, Fan X, Tang QMuch evidence indicates that increased persistent sodium current (I(Na.P)) is associated with cellular calcium overload and I(Na.P) is considered to be a potential target for therapeutic intervention in ischaemia and heart failure. By inhibiting type III phosphodiesterase, milrinone increases intracellular cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP), with a positive inotropic effect. However, the effect of milrinone on increased I(Na.P) under pathological conditions remains unknown. Accordingly, we investigated the effect of milrinone on increased I(Na.P) induced by hypoxia or hydrogen dioxide in guinea pig ventricular myocytes. While milrinone (0.01 mM or 0.1 mM) or cAMP (0.1 mM) decreased I(Na.P) respectively in control condition, application of 1 muM H-89, a selective cAMP-dependant protein kinase inhibitor, prevented the effect of 0.1 mM milrinone in control condition. Milrinone (0.1 mM) reduced the increased I(Na.P) induced by hypoxia. Furthermore, 0.01 mM or 0.1 mM milrinone reduced the enhanced I(Na.P) induced by 0.3 mM hydrogen peroxide. In addition, 0.01 mM or 0.1 mM milrinone shortened action potential duration at 90% repolarization (APD(90)). Bath application of 0.3 mM hydrogen dioxide markedly prolonged APD(90), while 2 muM tetrodotoxin (TTX) reversed the prolonged APD(90). In the other two groups, 0.01 mM or 0.1 mM milrinone shortened the prolonged APD(90) induced by 0.3 mM hydrogen peroxide, ultimately 2 muM TTX causing a further decurtation of APD(90). These findings demonstrate that milrinone inhibited I(Na.P) under normal condition, hypoxia or hydrogen dioxide-induced I(Na.P), and the APD(90) prolonged by hydrogen dioxide-induced I(Na.P) in ventricular myocytes, which is associated with the mechanism of milrinone increasing intracellular cAMP.

;